Random Posts

Friday, April 3, 2015

Tragic Story

     In Dumont, New Jersey on Marth 6th, a 10-year-old fifth-grader died after he jumped head first out a second floor window onto the concrete. The reason: a dispute earlier in the morning with another boy over a chess game.  Story    Follow-up
     I don't know the story behind this unfortunate kid but it reminded me of an incident I witnessed several years ago. I was spectating at a local tournament that also had a junior section. After the first round was over I left for the parking lot and on the way I witnessed a mother grasping a little girl who looked to be 8 or 10 years old by the arm and screaming at her, "How could you lose like that? You wouldn't have lost if you had played the opening like I showed you!"  The poor kid was sobbing her eyes out. 
     I thought it's just a chess game and the odds are a million to one this little girl will never be a good chess player or make any money at it. It's the same with other sports kids play. Sometimes parents are living vicariously through their kids. It's a shame and it can also be dangerous.
Pressuring Kids to Perform 
Five Signs You Are a High Pressure Parent 
When Parents Pressure Kids to Play Sports

No comments:

Post a Comment