Random Posts

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Well, that was weird

      Yesterday while looking through the bookshelf for a chess book I noticed my chess set and decided to take it out, set it up and play through a few games. With the sole exception of a game against the wife's cousin at the family reunion back in July, it's the first time I have actually fondled a set in 2-3 years. It was a weird sensation after using Fritz for so long a time.
      IM Jeremy Silman called chess engines “screaming apes” and pointed out they light up the sky as they point out a missed tactic, or give us a number showing that one side or the other is a hair better or worse than the author claimed and when the alarm bell goes off, the average player thinks the author is wrong and as a result, nothing about the concept the author is trying to teach is learned. Read article.
      He makes a good point, but I have long since passed the point where I am trying to learn anything and become a better player. These days I am content to run through GM games on Fritz and just watch them play and so the set went back in the bookcase. Am I wrong?
      Anyway, for all U.S. readers, have a happy Thanksgiving and for others who aren't enjoying a long holiday weekend, have a good rest of the week and be thankful anyway. Hope to be back next week

1 comment:

  1. I for one am thankful I found your blog and that you continue to devote time to sharing the fruits of your research and your experiences. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete